A group of symptoms and signs that are a very common hormonal disorder among women between the ages of 12 and 45.
- irregular or no menstrual periods
- heavy periods
- excess body and facial hair
- difficulty getting pregnant
- patches of thick, darker, velvety skin
- Associated conditions include type 2 diabetes, obesity, obstructive sleep apnea, heart disease, mood disorders, and endometrial cancer.
This disorder is usually seen in overweight women and their symptoms are improved simply by weight loss. Other treatments are dependent on the requirements of the women.